Sign up for a new account to
begin the application process
- E-Alerts – notification of breaking news on clinical practice management, legislative and coding issues
- Quarterly E-Newsletter – provides updates on Society business and activities
- Annals of Surgical Oncology - electronic access to the Annals and four other online journals, Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, Surgery Today, Surgical Endoscopy and World Journal of Surgery by logging in to our website and clicking on the Annals of Surgical Oncology tab.
Savings on Continuing Medical Education Program Registration Fees
- Annual Meeting – discounted registration fees offered to members
- Full and half day continuing medical education courses – discounted rates offered to members, held periodically throughout the country and annually as part of the annual meeting (pre-meeting courses).
Exclusive Access to Members-Only Features of the Society Website
- Breast Surgery Manual – online format of up to date information compiled by a team of leading experts in the breast surgery field, providing practical tips and illustrations of both operative technique and multidisciplinary management used in the treatment of breast disease.
- Resources Page – browse resources posted by fellow members such as patient registration, medical history and consent forms; patient instructions, procedural notes etc.
- View job opportunities or post a position wanted advertisement.
- Read news postings of fellow members' research milestones or other scientific achievements, awards or recognitions, promotions etc.
- Obtain expanded contact information for fellow members through an online directory exclusive to members only
Mastery of Breast Surgery Program Participation
- Document your clinical performance of breast procedures as well as your care of breast cancer patients and patients at risk for breast cancer.
- Participate in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS)
- Fulfill the requirements for American Board of Surgery Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Part 4 (ongoing participation in a national, regional, or local surgical outcomes database or quality assessment program)
- Access the "Selected Readings in Breast Surgery" online CME program to help fulfill the requirements for American Board of Surgery Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Part 2 (self-assessment)
- Join "The Forum"- A threaded message board to post your own discussion questions, suggestions and comments and read those posted by fellow members.
Breast Education and Self-Assessment Program (BESAP)
- BESAP is a web-based CME learning tool for physicians who treat breast disease, designed by The American Society of Breast Surgeons to help surgeons obtain self-assessment credits necessary to fulfill the American Board of Surgery's Maintenance of Certification part 2 requirements for recertification. The program helps participating physicians ensure a mastery of critical content for the diagnosis and treatment of breast disease. It also provides a significant fund of knowledge that can be used in breast fellowship programs.
- Society committees and working groups – The Society oversees 22 committees and working groups. Each year there are a limited number of seats available giving members with related expertise and a desire to serve, the opportunity to volunteer on various committees.
Representation Through the Society's Advocacy Efforts
The Society ensures that the concerns of our members are heard through intersocietal relationships including representation on the following:
- The American College of Surgeons Board of Governors
- The AMA RVS Update Committee
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
- National Quality Forum
- Commission on Cancer
- Surgical Quality Alliance
- American Board of Surgery Surgical Oncology Advisory Council
- AMA Specialty Service Society Caucus
To signify acceptance and acknowledgement as a member into the Society, each new member receives the following:
- A personalized membership certificate
- An official Society pin
- Authorization to download and use the official Society membership logos