Nurse BEDI (Breast Educational Decision Aid Instrument) was designed by the Education Committee of the ASBrS, in conjunction with Penn State Hershey Health, to help newly diagnosed breast cancer patients understand their specific biopsy results and treatment choices. This tool personalizes patient education, both visually and aurally (English and Spanish), by incorporating surgeon-provided details of the diagnosis with the preferences of the patient.
Although Nurse BEDI is not meant to replace surgical consultation, this tools enhances shared decision making between the patient and the surgical team, and it helps surgeons assess the patient’s knowledge and values. We advocate that all patient decisions should be made after a direct discussion with their surgical team. Nurse BEDI was developed to be primarily used prior to definitive decision making and surgical consent with the provider; however, one can adapt its use based on clinic, provider, and patient needs.
Nurse BEDI currently does NOT permanently store any patient information. All patient-specific information entered into Nurse BEDI is erased once the viewer finishes/clicks past her summary screen.
Important: When you are using Nurse BEDI, please use reasonable security measures to protect the confidentiality of personal information under your control and appropriately limit access to it.
- Nurse BEDI works best with Chrome or Firefox browsers. Internet Explorer is not recommended.
- If using a phone or tablet, you may need to first click the 'Pause' button then 'Play' in order to hear the tool.
Nurse Bedi Tips
- Getting started:
- Please be sure your volume is turned on and high enough for the patient to hear.
- If the patient will be using Nurse BEDI unsupervised, please be sure you have proper security in place on your computer or device to avoid patient web searches and/or access to any email, files, medical records, or other secured information.
- The surgical team member enters the patient specific information into the set up screen.
- All fields must be completed.
- If more than one tumor is entered, multiple tumors will be shown in the picture but only the first tumor pathology will be discussed.
- The tool will always discuss both options of breast conserving therapy vs. mastectomy. If the tumor is multi-centric (different quadrants) and your practice is to perform a mastectomy in this scenario, then this tool may not be optimal.
- One should confirm that the small picture of the breast represents an approximate location of the patient’s tumor.
- Select the English or Spanish version. The tool will play by itself.
- Instruct the patient that one can pause and restart the tool if necessary.
- Instruct patient to press PRINT when she is on the summary page. If she exits before she prints, you will have to re-enter all information to get a print out.
- The print out contains a summary sheet for the patient and list of all the patient’s answers to the Nurse BEDI online questions. The list of patient’s answers is primarily for the doctor to view and understand patient’s stressors, preferences, influences and possible barriers, but one can make a copy for the patient.
- If the Spanish tool is selected, there will be both English and Spanish versions of the print outs.