Begin the application process
The American Society of Breast Surgeons offers the following four categories of membership. In addition to those practicing in the United States, membership in all categories is open to international applicants who meet the requirements.
- An Active Member is one of the following:
- a General Surgeon, MD or DO, with a demonstrated interest in breast surgery
- a non-General Surgeon who has successfully completed an SSO/ASBrS approved Breast or SSO/ACGME approved Surgical Oncology Fellowship with a demonstrated interest in breast surgery
- A non-General Surgeon with breast surgery training, actively treating breast patients, with a demonstrated interest in breast surgery, and approved by the Membership Committee on a case-by-case basis
- All Active Members must have a full and unrestricted license to practice surgery.
- All Active Members must have current or previous certification from the appropriate certifying Board.
- Annual Dues are $375.
- An Associate Member is a non-board certified surgeon, MD or DO, or a non-surgeon physician, MD or DO, with a demonstrated interest in breast surgery.
- All Associate Members must have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the jurisdiction in which such physician is engaged to practice.
- Non-surgeon physician Associate Members must have current or previous certification from the appropriate certifying Board.
- Annual Dues are $375.
- An Affiliate Member is a licensed allied healthcare professional, researcher or scientist who is engaged in the care of breast surgery patients.
- Must have a letter of recommendation from an Active or Associate member.
- Annual Dues are $170.
- A Candidate Member is a General Surgery Resident, Surgical Oncology Fellow or Breast Fellow currently enrolled in a residency/fellowship program.
- Must provide a letter on letterhead, signed by the director stating the residency/fellowship program, including the term.
- Annual Dues are $60.
NOTE: All members may sit on committees, but only Active Members may vote or hold office.
International Applicant Requirements
Physicians applying for membership in the American Society of Breast Surgeons who do not live in the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico must satisfy the following:
All documents must be submitted in English. If original documents are not in English, they must be translated into English and notarized with an original signature from a Notary Public.
The applicant must show evidence of professional standing by providing the following:
- International applicants not residing in the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico who meet the qualifications stated in one of the categories listed above
- Curriculum vitae
- Valid medical license
- Surgical license or certificate (as applicable). Provide contact information for surgical certification board.
- Current proof of privileges at a healthcare facility in the form of a letter on official letterhead in English including the institution name, length of time employed from the Chief of Staff, Department Chair, Credentials Committee Chair, or similar individual.